Jitegemee has outgrown our current facility, a rented house in Machakos, Kenya. We are raising $200,000 to build a new “green” education center using a $90,000 matching grant.
- Three classrooms to be separated by removable walls, which can be taken out to create a large hall for big assemblies.
- Solar shading and strategic building orientation (positioning the building to take advantage of the sun path) to keep our new facilities cool naturally.
- A large garden, which could be used to grow produce for meals, families in need or sale in the marketplace.
- A play area for our youths.
- A library and computer room equipped with tables and chairs for studying and reading. Parents will be able to take classes and have access to the Internet in the library, and the local community will be invited on certain days of the week.
- A well ventilated kitchen with a fuel-efficient stove, hot water, cool storage and enough food preparation space to prepare meals in an efficient way.
- A solar hot water heater providing hot water for cooking, cleaning and other purposes.
- Separate latrines for boys and girls. The latrines will be well ventilated and will compost waste into fertilizer for agricultural use.
- Roofs designed to collect rain water and direct it into storage tanks for later use.
Please click on any of the photos below to enlarge the photo and start an album screen show.